Many of our clients ask where the Hardwood timber beams come from for their housing projects.
Some of our material has been sourced from the original Queen’s Wharf in Wellington, that was named in honour of Queen Victoria in 1862.
This Hardwood timber structure was used as a base for the Wellington Harbour Board in 1880, and was the port’s main wharf until container shipping facilities were developed further north.
All of the extensions to the wharf were in timber until 1909 when ironwork was used instead.
Major works were done using concrete between 1964-1968 and this changed the shape of the wharf, and the piles and deck were replaced.
Also known as the Deep Water Wharf or Government Wharf, the original timber deck was replaced with concrete around 1890, and in 1925 hot bitumen was laid on the surface.